Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Boy Scouts!

I'm back!

Recently, my two youngest sons (age 15), joined our church boy-scouts troop, led by our pastor. They have had so much fun these last few weeks!

It's been busy, but it's very much worth it. They just came home from their first Camporee (a multi scout troop camp meet). When they got back I asked them what they had learned. Laughing, they pointed at me and said (and I quote) "When setting up your tent, remove the pine cones from the ground first!"



Their troop did very well, winning 3 of the 5 trophies. Jon received best overall score and Ben scored highest in the archery contest. They have been out in the backyard setting up tents, tying knots in everything they can find, and shooting their compound bow whenever they get the chance.


At the camporee, they also learned how to shoot 12 gauge shotguns. My husband found some large holes in the yard and we think we might have skunks or groundhogs tearing up our yard. Maybe Jon and Ben can help with that now? They also learned how to correctly clean frying pans. Did you know that you are not supposed to use soap? Who knew! But for some reason they aren't excited about my offer to let them clean all the pots and pans from now on.

Any other boy scout families out there? I would love to hear some of your boy scouts or family camping trip stories!

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a similar issue or question? Let me know and I will be more than happy to help out!